Caique parrot personality Food & Care
There are 2 species of a Caique Parrot
- The peach-headed caique (Lionites Leucogaster) which has 3 subspecies
- The Peach Head Caicos (Pionites leucogaster), which has 3 subspecies.
- The Black-headed Caicos (Melanocephala pionites) which has 2 subspecies.
Are Caique parrots good pets?
Are caiques good for beginners?
How much attention do caiques need?
Are caiques affectionate?
Caïque parrot species
The caiques originate from South America (Guyana, Peru, Brazil, etc.). They can be seen there in the rainforest, particularly in the canopy. They also have a preference for places very close to rivers.
They live in colonies and utter cries which are heard from afar. Depending on the species, these are birds that measure around 23 to 24 centimeters, their weight is 180 to 190 g. Their longevity is around 30, even 40 years, depending on the authors and the observations. This little parrot is particularly playful and lively. He loves to get out of his cage regularly and fly around the room. Also, he likes to rub his hair and shoes. He loves to play on his back, even with a toy.
He is not a “speaker” compared to some parrots. Thus, some very rare people have a caique who pronounces or stammers two or three words but on the whole, it is not a great success.
These birds are in appendix B and we find more easily 3 species: the black-headed caique, the orange-headed caique, and the green-thighed caique.
The three different species of caiques
Or Caique maïpouri (Pionites melanocephala melanocephala); very common and popular in many countries in breeding or company.
Also, there is a second black-headed caique, Pionites melanocephala pallida. But this caique is much rarer and rarely encountered inbreeding.
Since the decree of August 10, 2004, it is possible to hold so-called “Guyana decree” species such as Pionites melanocephala in particular. A new decree of March 24, 2006, now authorizes the transfer and transportation of so-called “Guyana” birds including the Points. This new decree modifies art.3 of May 15, 1986, in the sense that it authorizes the sale and circulation of Guyana species born in captivity and identified (ring, etc.). This is why the sale can therefore only be made between capacity members or people holding an ODA. For one or two pet birds you will, therefore, need to have an APD, request to do with your DDSV. Beyond 6 birds you will need to be Capacitaire.
Caique with an orange head
The Orange-headed Caique (yellow thighs)
or Pionites leucogaster xanthoméria, the most common inbreeding.
The Green Thigh Caique
Caique Parrot Personality
or Pionites leucogaster leucogaster, much less present in breeders. Even less common: Pionites leucogaster xanthurus like xanthomeria, but with the yellowtail.
Note the peculiarity of the caique with green thighs: young or a few months old, the pigmentation of the legs is different from that of the particularly pink adult.
On the orange-headed caique as on the black-headed caique, the pigmentation is appreciably similar. Among the 3 species, we noticed that the black-headed caique was the one who appreciated the sun the most. Even in the height of summer, it sometimes stays 1 hour or more in full sun.
Caique Bird Species Profile
- 23 cm long, 150 to 175 grams.
- Distribution: Ecuador, Brazil, Peru, and Northern Bolivia.
- In captivity, we find more often the black-headed caique. It is therefore much less expensive than the peach-head species.
- A gregarious bird, often observed in small groups, rarely in large groups of 100 or more.
- Essentially arboreal lives in the top of trees under the cover of branches.
- The territory is quite limited. Because of its small wings, it does not fly long or far.
Black-headed Caicos, Melanocephala Pionites, Changing Temperament
- No sexual dimorphism.
- The caique is a very sociable and friendly bird. Every person, animal or object he encounters is a good topic of fun.
It is an adventurous bird that is neither fearful nor fearful and above all not thoughtful. He is quite impetuous and reacts immediately to situations that come his way. Which ranks it in the category “cute little bird that creates and attracts a lot of trouble”. As he is very curious and active, it would be best to always keep an eye on him when he is outside his cage.
Caique Personality, Food & Care
- The caique does not have an equal temperament, but rather changeable. He can go from angel to demon in half a split second if he is upset or does not like someone.
- The caique is afraid of neither god nor devil. In captivity if he feels intimidated, he does not run away … he attacks.
- The caique is a territorial and possessive bird. All that belongs to him is HIM … point to the line! The caique does not
- willingly share his cage, his toys and even less his bowl.
- Like the Lori, it is a pretty clownish and acrobatic bird, which makes it very enthusiastic when it comes to learning and performing new tricks.
- Another characteristic similar to the Lori; he moves often while hopping.
And another one … he loves taking baths.
- The caique is a player and when he does, he plays “manly”. Jump, rollover, throw the ball, bring back, jump, dance, etc. He has a very good supply of energy and he spends it well. He is constantly moving, moving relentlessly from one activity or toy to another.
- As a result, even if he is a very small bird, he requires a very large cage, needs space and lots of toys to keep himself busy. Nobody wants such a ball of dynamite bored for a moment! He particularly likes the toys he can hold in his paw and naturally … that make noise.
- It is a fairly autonomous bird and he can have fun alone for hours. But naturally, if he is given the choice, he will prefer, by far, the interaction with his human, especially if he does not have a companion of his kind at his disposal.
Caique Parrot Personality
Choosing a Pet Bird Caique Parrot Review
As you can see, it’s a smart bird that requires a lot of interaction. People loving calm abstain!
- It is not considered loud but can become very noisy if it is unresponsive or boring.
- The caique is not a very good speaker and when it runs, it is not always very clear. Generally, there is only his human to understand what he says. On the other hand, he excels in onomatopoeia. He has a small, high pitched and somewhat metallic voice that is very similar to R2D2 (Star War).
Caicos, highly energetic parrot
- The caique likes to eat and, compared to its size, it is impressive to see everything that this little body can eat … and not consequent, what can come out… But rest assured, by its high-level activity, the caique is absolutely not overweight. It is also a bird quite adventurous and reluctant to refuse new forms of food.
- On the other hand, the caique is not a lender, he protects his bowl like the apple of his eyes. Stand for it! If there are two caiques in the same cage, there must be two bowls.
- As its energy demand is high, it needs more than other species of parrots to be offered a wide variety of fruits. The rest of his diet is the same as the other parrots. He does not have a specific dietary need.