Do budgies love their owners? How do I know if a budgie loves me? Parakeets are extraordinary birds! However, they require special attention, because they need a company to be happy. Intelligent and a lot of fun, budgies are good friends. Always take several.
You will be able to form a very strong relationship with several birds even if they are together, provided you are available every day. While they may naturally be afraid of humans, budgies can overcome their apprehensions and show you a lot of affection when you know how to care for them.
Observe body language
Faites attention aux ailes de la perruche
Look at his tail
Look at your friend’s body
You can learn a lot by watching how your bird moves its body when it is in your presence. By paying attention to the movements of the bird’s body as well as the movement of its wings and tail, you can learn a lot about the feelings your pet experiences when you are close to him.
- If you see that the bird has a relaxed posture and is calm when you approach it, it is normally comfortable with you.
- When you see that the budgie moves its head back and forth in your direction, it means that it feels good with you and that it is (certainly) looking for you to stroke its neck and bring it love and affection.
- When a budgie is not comfortable and does not appreciate your presence, it will express its dissatisfaction by moving from side to side while having a rigid body and inflating its feathers. In case your bird behaves this way, the best you can do is walk away. He does not want to be close to you at the moment or he is not yet ready to accept you. You can try later. Insisting now would be a mistake.
Recognize positive signs
Observe the eyes of the bird
The pupils of humans dilate in certain circumstances, such as in response to stimuli from light or in the dark, but those of birds can transform for many other reasons. When a bird dilates its pupils (they become larger) or contracts them (they become smaller), it can express joy as well as discontent, anxiety, fear, or many other things.
- When you observe with wonder that your budgie blinks in your presence, it is a very clear indication that she appreciates that you are near her.
See if your bird hangs itself
Observe the beak of your budgie as well as the movements of its head
Parakeets can use their beaks to express different things. These can range from subliminal messages to practical work (such as bursting the shell of a seed). If a budgie wiggles its beak in your presence, it is a sign of affection.
- When a budgie grinds its beak (moves it from left to right and vice versa, like humans, grind their teeth), it’s a sign that it likes you.
- When budgies play together, they sometimes seem to peck at each other, but this is not the case, they are indeed just playing. If your budgie does this with you, without trying to hurt you, it is a sign of immense love.
- See if your new friend is regurgitating food when you’re near her. This is a very strong sign of affection, especially if your bird moves its head and eyes immediately afterward.
Listen to your friend
Listen to your friend
Make sure your budgie is well-being. If you forget to give your friend food or water, you will put her life in grave danger. It can harm her development and health, she can also die of horrible suffering. You don’t want that, do you? So you need to give your super friend water and food regularly to keep her healthy.
- Place a feeder in your bird’s cage and give it seeds, peanuts, bird treats… anything that can make him happy and fulfilled with you.
- Never give your budgie foods like avocado, chocolate, salty things, or appetizers, as your friend’s health and life are at stake.
Create a comfortable environment
A bird’s cage is its home, as your home is… your home! A place where you feel perfectly safe, and where you can watch TV and play games without worrying about anything else. Your budgie should feel that way when she’s in her cage.
- Provide a cage large enough for your friend to flourish and fly, but keep it away from the direct light of the Sun God. The minimum dimensions for small species are 75 cm x 45 cm x 75 cm. A cage of this size still involves daily outings. And better a large cage with several parakeets than a lot of small cages with one parakeet per cage: this makes them territorial and aggressive to be locked and cut off from each other. Also, don’t disturb your bird with loud noises like those of the TV, loud music, or screams when you fight with your boyfriend while throwing plates at each other. You would put the budgie’s life at risk by scaring her.
Get him toys
Yes! Parakeets love to play, alone, with you, or other budgie friends. Without toys, they will wither and feel very bad. So take care of them.
- Get toys for your bird so it can climb, descend, turn around, go right, left, and explore… Take good care of him.
- Place a swing in your friend’s cage, she will be able to have a lot of fun. The cage must be large enough or it will be sad.
- The toys you buy for your happy pet should not be dangerous to his health. The budgie must have the opportunity to chew them as it pleases without being intoxicated with toxic elements.
- Never try to grab your budgie by force with your hand. Simply place your hand in the cage and reach out. Your friend will come to rest on your finger. It may take some time for her to do this, be patient.
- Never scare your bird and do nothing that would frighten it, because then you will no longer be able to bond with it.
- Give your new friend treats. Whenever your budgie accomplishes something you want her to do, reward her with a treat and lots of love.
5 Ways to Make Your Budgie Love You