Parrots species have always been a special type of bird, whether on the shoulder of a pirate or revealing some kind of embarrassing information in a sitcom. Learn more about this fascinating bird by taking this Parrot Quiz.
How many species of parrots are there?
What is the natural habitat of parrots?
- sparsely populated countryside
- tropical and subtropical regions
- cooler regions
SOURCE:Cornell Lab of Ornithology
How many native parrots were there in the United States?
- one - the Carolina parakeet
- macaws and cockatoos
- 10 different species
How many toes does the parrot have?
What makes the parrot unique among birds?
- Parrots can talk.
- It holds food in one foot and balances on the other.
- It has bright multi-colored plumage.
How long is the longest parrot?
- 40 inches (1 m)
- 60 inches (1.5 m)
- 50 inches (1.25 m)
How do parrots communicate?
- head gestures
What is the usual diet of parrots?
- lizards and chameleons
- plants, fruit and seeds
Do parrots build nests?
- male builds a nest
- take nests from smaller birds
- nest in holes in trees or in rock crevices
What is the partnership policy of the larger parrots?
- tend to be polygamous
- depends on age and fertility of female
- tend to be monogamous
What makes the owl parrot of New Zealand so unusual?
- The owl parrot does not really fly - it climbs trees then glides down to the ground.
- It is the one parrot that is unable to mimic the human voice.
- It eats smaller invertebrates, such as insects.
Why do people keep parrots as pets?
- easy to take care of
- keep flies an other insects away
- admire their beauty, intelligence and ability to mimic
Which of the Old World species is considered the best mimic?
- great yellow-beak
- African grey
How varied does a pet parrot's diet need to be?
- mainly seeds and grains
- they eat anything
- fresh fruit and vegetables, grains, seeds and well-done lean fish or meat
How much attention does parrot need?
- need to be left alone mostly
- need playful interaction
- need to be released from their cages once a week
Do parrots display neurotic behavior?
- If they are neglected or abused they scream excessively and pull their feathers.
- Parrots are totally consistent in their behavior.
- Only in mating season do parrots behave in strange ways.
For how long can the larger species of parrots live in captivity?
- 20 years
- 40 years
- 60 years
Why are parrots the world's most threatened group of birds?
- fall prey to predators such as eagles
- global warming
- loss of natural habitat and collection as pets
What is the most popular type of parrot pet?
What parrot is known as an opera singer?
- canary-winged parakeet
- yellow-headed Amazons