Parrots species have always been a special type of bird, whether on the shoulder of a pirate or revealing some kind of embarrassing information in a sitcom. Learn more about this fascinating bird by taking this Parrot Quiz.
How many species of parrots are there?
What is the natural habitat of parrots?
- sparsely populated countryside
- tropical and subtropical regions
- cooler regions
SOURCE:Cornell Lab of Ornithology
How many native parrots were there in the United States?
- one - the Carolina parakeet
- macaws and cockatoos
- 10 different species
What makes the parrot unique among birds?
- Parrots can talk.
- It holds food in one foot and balances on the other.
- It has bright multi-colored plumage.
How do parrots communicate?
- head gestures
Do parrots build nests?
- male builds a nest
- take nests from smaller birds
- nest in holes in trees or in rock crevices
What makes the owl parrot of New Zealand so unusual?
- The owl parrot does not really fly - it climbs trees then glides down to the ground.
- It is the one parrot that is unable to mimic the human voice.
- It eats smaller invertebrates, such as insects.
Which of the Old World species is considered the best mimic?
- great yellow-beak
- African grey
How much attention does parrot need?
- need to be left alone mostly
- need playful interaction
- need to be released from their cages once a week
For how long can the larger species of parrots live in captivity?
- 20 years
- 40 years
- 60 years
What is the most popular type of parrot pet?